May 4, 2009

Another Possibility

I looked at a dog this past weekend. What a handsome boy! I had a couple of reservations though. He's only been at this foster home a couple of weeks. He has two wonderful acres to roam, three other dogs to play with, two cats to chase and fields worth of bunnies. So understandably, he was not particularly focused on me. Of course, that was disappointing, but pushing my ego aside, I understand (and hope) that's something that would change. When he did come up, he was very willing and eager for loving.

However, he is also very shy. His foster mom said he probably was an outside dog without a lot of human or canine interaction so new things overwhelm him. It is possible this shyness could evolve into aggression without the proper leadership and training. Would this be easy to do or would it be a constant part of owning Jake? God bless, Lucy, but I don't want another dog whom I need to continually monitor. I want a dog who is confident without being aggressive, friendly without being in your face, and is compliant but not lacking esteem.

No comments: