March 13, 2009

What next?

I am not ready yet, but I come from a long line of dog owners—people for whom a dog is a family member. Growing up, when one dog passed away, within a very short time, we had another. My mother felt it was her duty to give a dog a home. Not a fancy, pedigreed pooch, but some poor cast-off who was housed at a shelter. That mindset has been thoroughly inculcated in our family and my siblings have embraced it enthusiastically. Surprisingly, after we all separately lost our last dogs, we didn't spring into action, but waited. My sister waited nearly a year (unheard of!) and my brother is now out six months. It's been a month since Lucy passed and though I know I eventually will have another pup, I don't feel the need to rush.

When that pup arrives, I want to make sure I'm prepared...or as prepared as one can be. Lucy, my head-strong, lovely lass was allowed to walk at the end of her lead. She didn't pull, but she was "out front." The new pup will not have that luxury. With Lucy, it was a mistake and irresponsible of me to let her do this. Being aggressive and out in front meant I had no control over Lucy when a loose (aggressive or not) dog approached. Unfortunately this left Lucy to make her own (often inappropriate) decision on how to handle the situation.

And what kind of pup do I want? For some reason I have a rescued Border Collie on the brain, though I am not sure we would be the best household for a BC. Yes, it would be walked twice a day and yes, it would have many mountain-biking opportunities, but is that enough exercise/stimulation for that dog? And what about a shelter dog? I'm so concerned about pit bull being mixed in (a shelter dog) that I'm leery about adopting from that source. Size dog? I think I want smaller. Lucy wasn't that big, but big enough that it wasn't easy to pick her up.

I guess the nice thing about this time is it provides reflection. What did I do right (or wrong) in training my girl? How can I improve? What breed mix is good for us? When do we want to take on another dog? I can look on-line at rescue and shelter dogs and ponder without purchasing. I can muse without making the move. Hopefully I'll the opportunity when it presents itself.

No comments: