November 8, 2008

Rhinoscopy Completed

Dropping Lucy off at the vet yesterday morning was awful. When they led her away, she just turned and stared at me with those frightened, accusatory eyes. "What are you doing to me? Are you giving me away?" The CT and rhinoscopy both corroborated no (visible) cancer or aspergillosis. The vet took some biopsies and we won’t hear back on those until the middle/end of next week. His guess is chronic rhinitis. The good part is it can be managed, the bad part, it’s with her forever more.

Last night was pretty awful for her (and me) because she was so restless. Lots of panting and pacing. She did have a bit of nose bleeding, but nothing of concern. I put a mat on the floor in the kitchen (where we've had her at night since she had been piddling) and laid there thinking that having me close by might make her less anxious. Maybe it worked a little, but neither of us slept a wink. I called the vet around midnight and they recommended bringing her in (approximately 45 miles round trip) or give her a Benadryl. I opted for the Benadryl. She did lay down for almost 2 hours (I think I slept then), but she was up again and barfed.

So I called again. I didn’t know if her activity and panting were caused by pain from the procedure, drugs wearing off, or a bad reaction to a drug combination. They said come in or give her another Benadryl. The second one didn’t seem to have any effect on her at all. I got dressed to bring her in around 3AM, but again opted out and brought her bed into our bedroom.

She was more calm there and I think she was quiet for nearly an hour, before getting up and pacing again. I fed her some brown rice and turkey stock and she snarfed it, so I know her appetite is okay. I’ll give her some more time this morning and see if she evens out. I’m absolutely bleary-eyed from lack of sleep and would prefer not to drive in the dark and rain (my least safe driving conditions).

My guess is she’s okay and it is the pain and the anesthesia/meds (for which she’s always had a low tolerance) that are causing her anxiety. Now, nearly 4 hours since I fed her, she's sleeping comfortably and I'm getting ready for another cup of coffee—and hoping I make it until 8PM tonight!

No comments: