December 18, 2011

"Let's Take the Long Way Home"

"Let's Take the Long Way Home" is a short memoir by Gail Caldwell about her friendship with another writer, Caroline Knapp. It's a sad and tender story about friendship, love and loss. The two women meet through a dog trainer, their love for their young dogs providing the first bond, their mutual respect and admiration for each other cementing it. I had read two of Knapp's other books, "Drinking: A Love Story" and Pack of Two" earlier, so knew a little bit about Caroline going into this story. The book makes you want to love up your pup and hug those friends who know you inside and out, and love you unconditionally.

So my advice is to go kiss your pup and call your best girl friend and let her know how much you love her. No dog gets enough loving and friends rarely hear how important they are, though they may know it intuitively. In the scheme of things, life is just too short.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting about this book; it seems to be just the book I've been needing to help me focus my life on what really matters.

Annie said...

It is a lovely read, though sad. I hope you enjoy it.