January 1, 2011

Tough Choice

I had a chance for an extended trip down the Baja peninsula and grabbed it, but not without first agonizing about Bella. I am driving down and flying back and didn't want to fly her. She could have come back later in a car, but no one can take the same care of your pup as you, so that was also out. Also, many of the locals put out poison for the rats and feral cats and dogs. Bella would scoop up some tasty, laced morsel and swallow it faster than I could yell, "Out!" I'd be a wreck watching her 24/7 which of course is impossible to do. What about when I'm biking in a group, taking a yoga class, attempting stand-up paddle boarding? Nope. I just didn't see a way to make it work.

So as I type this in San Diego, I am going through serious Bella-withdrawal. She's staying with in-laws and her sister from a previous litter and her favorite 15-year old boy. The family called this morning to say she is terrified of fire crackers. I guess they took the two dogs down to their dock to light off fire crackers on New Year's Eve. Bella has never showed fear of the "pop," but she also has never been so closely exposed. She spent the night in my sister-in-law's lap...all 60 pounds of dog...and the rest of night quivering in their bathroom. My heart breaks for her. I would not have taken her so close to the action right away, but would have started her in the back yard to gauge her reaction. But I wasn't there, I was in the Angeles National Forest. My girl. Well, the dye is set. Fourth of July isn't in her/our cards.

My nephew, at whose house I'm staying, has two large German Shepherds. I'm getting my dog fix, if not MY dog fix. My fingers are crossed she remains safe over the next several weeks. I know she is happy where she is, but still I worry. What a complicated decision it was to leave!

No comments: