January 8, 2011

The Pet Blogger Challenge

I am sitting in the shade on a patio on the Sea of Cortez looking at the computer. That sounds pretty pathetic now that I write it. Why aren't I swimming or paddling? For Pete's sake, woman! It's January and you're in Baja on vacation! Well, at this hour, mid-afternoon, my poor little northern latitudes body can't take any more of that solar heat. In meandering around the computer, I found a link about the Pet Bloggers Challenge 2011 and decided to take it. Below are the questions; my answers are in red.


1. When did you begin your blog? July 2007.

2. What was your original purpose for starting a blog? My dog, Lucy, had a herniated disk and could barely walk. I was unable to find information on the 'net regarding care for a dog post-surgery and decided I would blog about it to help any other pet owners who might be going through a similar situation.

3. Is your current purpose the same? No. If not, what’s different? Lucy has passed on and now I'm blogging about my present, wonderful pup (now a bonified dog), Bella. If so, how do you feel you’ve met your goals? My goal is to write about living with a dog. I want readers to learn what an owner goes through with training an animal that isn't going to compete, but must be socially acceptable in a variety of situations. I hope to clearly relate what training methods I use and whether the methods (and the owner!) are effective. In addition, I want to let readers know what it is like traveling around the United States with a large dog in a small van packed with two people and a lot of toys.

4. Do you blog on a schedule or as the spirit moves you? I blog when I am in the mood. Do you worry about… well, whatever you might worry about (e.g. losing traffic, losing momentum)? Yes, if I have not written for a while, I am concerned about losing traffic, but since my traffic is so small, what's there to lose? Hence, I am blogging while on vacation and...sigh...dogless.

5. Are you generating income from your blog? No. If not currently, do you hope to in the future — and how? Generating income always has appeal. Will I go that route? I doubt it.

6. What do you like most about blogging in general and your blog in particular (bragging is good!)? I like writing. I like the effort it takes to make a story effective. I think my blog gives a true view of what an ordinary person (not a trainer, nor a person interested in canine competition) goes through trying to live, travel and expose a dog to an enormous variety of situations.

7. What do you like least? I wish I had certifiable traffic and feed back, a real following.

8. How do you see your blog changing/growing in 2011? Writing has always been an interest of mine. Dogs have always been significant in my life. I hope my writing improves and that this blog generates a following.

Take the challenge! What's your reason for blogging about your dog(s)? 

No comments: