January 12, 2011

Raw or Home-Cooked?

There is a woman staying at this location with us who is a big advocate of the BARF diet. She has had several Rottweilers who have had skin or intestinal issues and she believes this type of diet has cured them. I know with Lucy, who barely and rarely ate, the home-cooked cancer diet was a winner.

I've been curious about this particular food, but is it necessary? Would I be diligent about making it day in and day out? Would I be able to supply both the variety and required nutrition? Is really good commercial food really that bad? My vet recommends rotating through different commercial products to keep the dog not only interested, but to make available different nutrients in each product.

So I was pleasantly surprised when I was browsing links today to come across the pros and cons of this very topic. It certainly didn't answer any questions and the topic seems as controversial as ever. For the time being, Bella will remain on a variety of commercial foods. But perhaps I can offer occasional raw or home-cooked treats...

Weigh in with your thoughts. What and how do you feed your dog?

No comments: