March 3, 2010

Kongs

Kongs have been my go-to dog treat for eons. Lucy would work them for hours trying to extract a small piece of cheese. Bella is much speedier and I doubt the treat lasts as long as I'd hope. None-the-less, when I leave for work and Bella is crated, in goes the Kong with her. The new mix (rather than a bit of canned dog food, frozen) is peanut butter to plug the hole, a slice of banana, some plain, non-fat yogurt and some more banana...and maybe another dab of peanut butter.

Now that my husband is retired and home more, she is crated less. We're just beginning to try her loose in the house. At 10 months, she's just mature enough to give it a go if well regulated. Whereas Lucy was loose at the same age, she was much less chewy. I am not sure I'd trust Bella for hours on end. Because my husband might be in the garage or shop, Bella is free to roam the house (in which case, no Kong). Because he isn't far away or gone very long, he comes back in periodically to assess what might be happening. So far, so good.

No comments: