March 21, 2010

Ferrous Sulfate Monohydrate

No class this week. Instead something much bigger has happened. Nulife Rid Moss or ferrous sulfate monohydrate...moss kill for lawns. My husband laid this around the yard and to my knowledge it wasn't in the backyard where Bella plays.

I noticed some darkening moss in the back which indicated to me the moss was dying, which meant, of course, moss kill was there too. Bella ate some of the dead moss. Bella laid in the lawn. Bella played with some of her toys in the lawn. Bella started licking her paws and didn't stop. Bella's tongue looked brown.

Panic.

I asked my husband if he'd spread moss kill out there and he said just a bit and in areas he didn't think she went. But of course, the back yard is hers and she goes everywhere in it; it is a very small space. He said the kill wasn't toxic. I looked up the ingredients. I researched the web. Very toxic. Liver damage. Chronic gastrointestinal issues. We washed her feet and her bedding. Tossed toys and washed toys. No yard for her, either front or back. Must walk her for her to go.

Called the vet. Got someone at the desk on the line who brushed me off and said call the manufacturer. (Who was this person?!) Of course the manufacturer is closed on the weekend. Called the vet back and decided to bring Bella in for a blood test for her liver. The vet, whom I respect, said on examination that she felt Bella would be okay. However, if the test comes back showing liver damage, she could take liver supplements. Luckily, caught early, any damage may be able to be reversed.

I strive to keep the backyard organic both for the dog and our vegetable gardens. The lawn may have to look crummy, but I cannot risk my dog's health for a lawn. Hopefully my husband "gets" that...and hopefully, the blood report will come back tomorrow as normal.

It makes me wonder if her bit of recent regression (and diarrhea) had anything to do with this. The latter could be a sign of poisoning, along with the usual vomiting (none) and lethargy.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hi there - thanks for putting me on your blog roll! I'm sorry you had to go through all that stress with your dog and the moss kill. Maybe it's time to "disappear" all of those potentially hazardous products from your husband's stash... moss is a fact of life in NW lawns, and actually if you have a change of mindset (from the "perfect lawn" mode), it is actually softer and more interesting than uniform blades of grass. Good luck keeping your garden free of this stuff in the future, and I hope the blood tests continue to come back negative!

Annie said...

Karen: Couldn't agree with you more about letting the lawn be as is. A middle ground would be letting him have his patch and letting the back be Bella's and mine. Life is always full of compromises! She's doing okay--thank heavens!