March 14, 2010

4th Class

The Boxer and Rhodesian Ridgeback were at it again this week, but not for quite as long. I feel so sorry for both owners. I thought Lucy was bad, but she didn't hold a candle to either of these.

Some interesting lessons in class this time. We worked on common commands (sit, down, stay) in two different ways. One was verbal only; the other was signal only. I need to do more with those. She wanted us basically "off collar" meaning we should try not to use it unless absolutely necessary. I need a lot more work with that and because there is no class next week, I better give it plenty of action. I'd like to have Bella cooperating with both.

When my husband takes her out in the morning for "biscuit hour" he often goes through whatever I've taught him from what I've learned that week. I mentioned this two-way method after class, but forgot to remind him of it this morning. To have us both working her is great, not only for us, but for her since our inflections and actions vary slightly.

Today she's been a bit of a pill, but I think that's because we were both gone in different directions and she had to be crated. Since my husband has returned, she's had one of us around all day. How was she a pill? Pulled on the leash, didn't obey commands, pushy... As Dana said, if we let her get away with it now when she's trying her limits, she'll know she can. If we make it clear now, she won't be always fighting the parameters. A no-brainer perhaps, but it was good to hear it again.

No comments: