June 23, 2009

Reality Relief

After posting the "attack" issue in a couple of fabulous dog forums, I feel more human again. From my sister-in-law to everyone in the forums, the consensus was one incident does not indicate an aggressive dog. Sunday afternoon and Monday, I took Bella to an area where a lot of folks walk their dogs and none elicited the reaction she showed with the little lab. Not even close. She met dogs of all different sizes, ages and temperaments and was universally well-behaved. I still want to be alert to the potential, but it's no longer consuming me.

I must admit today, however, I am exhausted from puppy parenting. I know these puppy traits will pass and with them will be a certain nostalgia, but the constant monitoring is all-consuming and really makes me wonder why on earth someone in their mid-50s would choose to have a child! I can barely keep up with a puppy and that is tons easier in comparison.

I'm on a new scheme to train in small increments throughout the day. Over and over and over again. No session is terribly long, but just enough repetition for her to get some of these commands ingrained. Biting is a big issue and that has to stop. She's also nipping at legs...herding dog. That will also have to stop.

The other big one is starting and stopping on walks. Ten feet forward, sit, another ten, lay down, another ten, sit. I've got to figure out a way around that and it may be with food although every time she gets a kibble, she sits to eat it. 100 chews. Mother would be proud.

No comments: