August 24, 2007

Info and Falls

I spoke with the surgical vet tech on Wednesday and received a little more information from which to proceed. Although my vet thought aqua therapy would be beneficial, the surgical vet does not recommend it because of the kicking action. Oh. That makes sense! He feels just walking gives the best benefit as it's weight bearing and doing the activity she couldn't do well before.

Stairs are still off limits as are most other activities until at least October—a full two months post surgery. At that point, I am to be along side Lucy going up or down stairs. Now Luce has been doing 2-4 stairs just getting in and out of the house, but to get to the basement (one of her favorite places) requires negotiating 15 steps. Way too much!

Last night Lucy slipped on the wood floors and fell. Although it sounds a little like those awful commercials..."I've fallen and I can't get up!" That was, unfortunately, exactly the scenario. She hit pretty hard on her very boney, very weak hips. She didn't yelp, but after a couple of struggles to get up, she gave up. I was in the other room and ran in on hearing the crash. I rubbed and rubbed her, her back, her hips, talked in a calming tone and then aided her raising her back end. She laid very low the rest of the evening, not even getting up when DH arrived home from a trip.

Today has seen similar lack of movement with the exception that she is restless. Lies here, gets up, goes there, gets up, wanders outside, comes back in... She is obviously uncomfortable and I'm sure is bruised. She doesn't struggle any more than what is now usual in rising, but she is panting (though it's hot outside) which can indicate pain. Her desire to go on a walk is there, but not for any length. We only went around the block today.

This is a huge lesson in patience for me that this injury isn't going to see a miraculous, instant turn-around. The surgical vet tech said months and months; my regular vet said it could take a year. My neighbor said I might just have to be comfortable with the fact that this may be all she will ever be able to do.

No comments: