August 18, 2007

Good Vet & Say Goodbye to Stitches!

My regular vet is fantastic. Kate Schottman at Sunset Pet Hospital is calm, reassuring and knowledgeable. She listens. I was stating my concerns and frustrations about not having something to 'hold on to' from the surgeon's vet techs regarding time frames and progress points. Kate said that often healing is the reverse of the injury. If the problem took a long time to develop, it often can take an equally long time to heal. I had not received a similar explanation from the surgeon, so did not have any idea on when I might see improvements other than it 'would take a while.'

Kate also felt warm water therapy would be beneficial for Lucy as there is no joint/bone pressure, but would allow for muscle-building exercise. Additional deep massage along with this could add to the overall recovery. The surgeon's vet tech said they did not think this would be good. I didn't receive an explanation, but I didn't ask that question—"Why?".

Kate felt their urging caution/avoidance of stairs might be from falling (similar to older people). Is this the reason the vet techs had?

The issue seems to be that I'm not a good asker of questions. I don't think my concerns through thoroughly enough on the fly. Nor do I phrase questions in a way that would give me a multiplicity of answers. Kate urged me to call the surgeon again to get more concrete explanations. I'm embarrassed for all the times I've called them, but I guess that's what they get for the cost of the operation!

Oh! I forgot to add that this all came about (talking about Kate) because Lucy got her stitches out today! Yahoo!

No comments: