January 8, 2013

Baja First–Bella Hits the Beach

Wearing a muzzle means fun beach time! Oh boy!
Last year, after a fraught visit to the beach, I did not bring Bella down to the water again–at least not in the area where we live. There was an influx of dead sea slugs and puffer fish that year and living in the curve of a bay, we are the repository for most of the flotsam and jetsam. I had been warned these sea creatures exude such a powerful neuro-toxin that if mouthed, they can kill a dog within 24 hours.  It can drop a person who has only ingested a teaspoon. I had been told stories of friends dogs that had touched one and they filled me with dread. I was not going to expose Bella to that danger.

This year, I worked consistently with her wearing a muzzle. Before leaving, I was able to walk her around the neighborhood while she wore her muzzle with only infrequent rubbing against my leg. Two days ago, I took her to the beach with her muzzle. The sea slug scare remains, but the influx is next to nil this year.

She was so happy on the beach. Water! Running! She did drag her nose occasionally trying to remove the muzzle, but she was obviously blissful. Good girl, Bellie! Another beach visit is in your future.

No comments: