August 4, 2012

Hiking!

I bought a new day pack for myself after 20 years of using a bomb-proof school back pack. I can't throw the old pack out...it really is impervious to wear and tear...but I can't get all I need into it. The new pack is a dream (Gregory Jade 28)—light weight, nice-sized compartments, and comfortable to wear. The purchase was prompted by my desire to do more hiking alone and therefore needing to carry more things for safety. I dug out Lucy's old dog pack and with some tweaking, it fits Bella! Huzzah! She can carry her own water!

The last two weekends have been gorgeous and provided the perfect weather for an outing.
Heading to the gap above the center of a snow field.
Sniffing who was here earlier.



I've noticed hiking alone with Bella makes her far more attentive to where I am than if we are with others. I think this is because she doesn't hear me talking, so is constantly stopping and waiting for me. I love this! Good dog, Bella!

I am also aware that if I follow her route through an iffy bit of trail, she invariably picks the easiest path. A third plus is though I am directionally challenged (I never hike without a compass and map), if I'm back-tracking and come to a confusing trail intersection, I wait for her to pick "our" trail. She's never wrong. With last girl-dog, Lucy, none of this was the case—not to mention a whistling marmot was her siren song to leap into the unknown and give chase. Not Ms. Bell. She stays close and on the trail.

Bella also prefers not to drink from a bowl, but directly from the water bottle. Also a plus! One less thing to carry! She is very good at capturing the dribble and wastes little, which was great for today's hike. The trail had excellent water flow in June when I hiked it with a friend, but next to none today.

I'm hoping we can get several more hikes under our belt before we head out with a friend for a several day back-packing adventure mid-fall. It's been many years since I've "over-nighted" and want to make sure I have the stamina to carry more weight. I will continue to load the new pack until eventually moving over to my large pack carrying 35 or more pounds.

No comments: