November 3, 2011

Have You Brought Your Dog to Baja?

This has turned into an ever-changing target and is making me edgy. We're bringing Bella with us to Baja this year and we'll be in Mexico (southern Baja) for a couple of months. Not only do I have a concern about how she'll manage in the heat and with cactus, but with other dogs (native and gringo), poisonous fish and a totally foreign environment. To top that off, the criteria to get her back into the United States seems to be elusive.

Having crossed the border heading south several times before, I know having up-to-date vet records for her is a priority, but not always requested.. She is current on shots and she's healthy, so I don't see that being the problem. I'll have her on flea, tick and heart worm meds, so that takes care of that concern. I have booties for the cactus for her feet, but will have to deal with them if they get elsewhere. I have a muzzle that I'm training her to that should help (but not eliminate) the fish issue. It's getting back across the border into the US that has me guessing.

Some folks say that the same certificates that get us into Mexico will get us home. Others have said I need a certificate signed by a Mexican vet stating that she's healthy and it must be issued no more than seven days before we cross the border. Yesterday, I found a site the said I needed an International Health Certificate (#77-043) and another form called APHIS-7001.

My vet is knowledgeable about crossing the border into Canada, but not about crossing the border into Mexico. Today I called the state vet office (the person I spoke with was pleasant, but knew nothing) who faxed forms to my vet, but said I needed to talk with the federal office (under the FDA). I'm still waiting to hear from them.

Of course, my nightmare is returning home to find a glitch at the border. ...That I'm missing that form. ...That Bella will have to be quarantined. ...That....

Have any of you experienced a border crossing south to north? What has been your experience. Don't be shy; let me know—please!

No comments: