August 12, 2011

Car Travel Safety

Mountain biking outside of McCall, Idaho in '05.
Several years ago, my husband and I were mountain biking outside McCall, Idaho. The trails were gorgeous, the weather superb and the three of us (my husband, myself and our dog, Lucy) were having a wonderful ride until we met up with a young couple and their three legged border collie. They were also enjoying the area, but when we learned why the dog was missing one leg, my mood changed. Their dog fell out of the back of their pickup truck and was hit. Luckily the dog survived, but I am continuously flabbergasted when I see dogs unrestrained in cars, let alone loose in the back of a truck. What are these people thinking? Obviously not about their dog!

I used to own a Honda Civic hatchback (great little car) and initially kept my dog in the way back. At some point I had the awful thought of what might become of her if I was rear-ended. She then road in the back seat in a harness/leash/seat belt contraption.

Since then, all of our dogs have worn a harness attached to a short 18" leash. The seat belt passes through the handle and then into its buckle. I have looked at other harness mechanisms and at this point lean towards Ruff Rider's seat belt as I like the design, padding and chest criss-cross. It's not very expensive and has received lots of lauds yet suffers the same drawback as my present system. If the dog can step on the buckle, they can release the belt. Bella seems quite adept at this even though the buckle to hard to reach.

Periodically I revisit this issue to see if anything better has come along. Part of my recent research was because of an article in the May issue of Bark Magazine regarding traveling with your favorite four-legged friends. The article doesn't critique belts though and I wish it did. Recently I've seen several references to the downside of crating your dog in the car. Each time they refer to a German study. Here are some short videos from About.com that are horrifying even though they are testing with dummies (human and canine).

After looking at the video and the Ruff Rider harness...and then at my homemade, jerry-rigged setup, I think I'll be purchasing a real doggie car harness!

Bella's seat belt from in front and from behind.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know there are some car harness/seat belts that have been crash tested. Of course, I can't remember the brand.

I can't buckle the girls in. My car is too small to fit them in attached like that.

Growing up, my parents used to put me in the back of the truck to hold our dog's leash "to keep him safe". LOL No one thought riding in the back of trucks was a bad/dangerous thing.

Annie said...

Child safety in cars when we were little was pretty non-existent! I love that your parents cared enough about the dog that someone had to hold on to him! How do you manage your girls?

Anonymous said...

Well, for short trips they stand parallel in the back seat on a pet hammock-facing out the side windows. Bella leaning against the back of the seat and Daisy standing in the middle/leaning against the front seat.

I might could fit them in with harnesses if I forced Bella to sit-but with her anxiety I would never do that to her. It's just not worth the safety aspect if your dog is freaking out and puking (she also gets carsick).

For long trips like my recent move I enlisted my mom to drive one, and I the other.

Annie said...

Yep. That's tough. I had one dog who used to get car sick all the time until she started associating it with something fun (hiking, mountain biking). She "cured" herself. Hugs to your Bella for her tenderness!