February 18, 2011

Routines

With my husband gone this month, Bella and I have established our own routine. She still wants breakfast at the crack of dawn and on a weekend I stumble around fixing it before I shower or return to bed. As much as I may grumble, I actually like getting up early. It allows me a long, slow awakening before having to be fully functional.

Waiting for food; the drool is just starting.
I'll start water for coffee and while the coffee steeps (French press), it's Biscuit Time. There are several steps involved here. First, she needs to ring the bells hanging from the door knob in order to go outside. Once outside, we go through a series of tricks in which a biscuit is sometimes awarded after each trick or may not appear until the very end. The tricks are pretty standard: wave, weave (between the legs) and down plus waiting to eat the biscuit(s) between her front paws. Sometimes I'll mix in stay, come, front, heel, but it depends on the weather and how functional I am considering I still haven't had my coffee!

Post breakfast is a long walk, rain or shine. If it's a work day, her day is confined to the kitchen with a deliciously packed, frozen Kong. She's familiar with this routine, and trots over to her kitchen bed in anticipation. I'd love to give her the run of the house, but we use an alarm system (after our awful break-in) and a loose dog and the alarm don't mix. If it's a free day, anything goes. I often work from home and she's content to snooze or play with her toys, but is happiest when I work in the yard or better yet, go hiking!

Later in the day sees another walk and a chuck-it session. The latter is the highlight of her day and if we have the time, she might have more than a single session. She's worn grooves in the alley dirt from all her retrieving! The number of lost balls in neighbors bushes will one day be a great archaeological find. Each wind storm spits out a ball or two that's an absolute lottery win! Unfortunately, as my aim is not always spot on, there are still many hidden in the laurels.

Dinner is followed by cocktail ball time, chewing on any and all toys, cuddling up while I read. This is a lovely time and I've grown to really love the quietness and togetherness of this. If I'm on the ground, she'll lay as close as possible with her head and paws on me. If I'm in a chair, she's at my feet. Such pals—I love it.

No comments: