February 20, 2010

Dog School Part 3

Today was the start of our 3rd class. Her first was a puppy class and was more about socialization than anything else. The second was beginning obedience and you can read more about it here. It's been several months and I felt it time for another session. This facility is closer to home, less expensive and even better, looks to be a good class: Beyond Basic Obedience.

Today was just a review for most people with a few new additional things thrown in. We worked on Sit, Stay, Down, Heel, Stand—and Finishes. The last was new for me and Bella is quite sloppy. Her finish is normally perpendicular to me versus parallel in heel position. We have our work cut out for us!

Dana, the instructor, want us to work 15 minutes a day on these commands, making them fun; turn it into a game. No "no's" as she said. She's going to introduce over the course of the class some real games, silent commands, retrieve (without a tennis ball) and at the end, off-leash heeling. I'm really looking forward to this.

Bella got pretty hyper by the end of the class. Dana used her for several show-and-tells and Dana has the Uber treats. Bella lost her self-control. The instructor gave me some of her treats hoping, I'm sure, to calm Bella. Bella, however, knew the instructor had the ultimate stash, so I was glad we were nearly done for the day.

No comments: