October 17, 2009

Working on "No Jump"

In obedience class this past week, Bella started out as a jewel. This was Week #2. Last week, Bella embarrassed me by barking through the entire class. We had a stellar start this week, but it rapidly disintegrated. Bella behaved like Hermione on a sugar high. As the teacher demonstrated different techniques, Bella began whining and wiggling—and crawling towards the teacher. "Pick me! Oh! Pick me! I know how to do that!" And indeed, Bella does know how to do both the "sit" and "down" the instructor was trying to teach us.

However, by the end of the hour, Bella had lost all touch with reality. No amount of cajoling, treating, ignoring, downing or correcting could get her to focus. She's lost complete control of herself, and I had lost control of her. It was awful and unfortunately, the instructor offered no solutions. This frustrated me. When I finally asked, her reply was that class was too exciting. Well, instruct me how to deal with it because I'm getting nothing from class this way! I'll try talking with the teacher before class next week, but if I see this same lack of intervention, I'll complain. She isn't helping us, if she isn't teaching us how to control our dogs. This is one of the reasons we're all taking a class.

One interesting training tip I did get from class is a new way of teaching a pup not to jump up on you. It's interesting how the methods have changed on this. It used to be you were supposed to knee the dog in the chest when it jumped up. Later, grabbing the dogs paws became the preferred method. Some recommended you turn your back to the dog when it jumped. Others promoted stepping towards the dog, so the pup would sit upon backing away. Well, here's yet another solution:


We haven't had any visitors, so I've yet to have a friend try it, but it looks like a good idea. What do you think of this method?

No comments: