October 15, 2009

Fresh Bread

I baked a loaf of whole wheat bread yesterday after work. It was the perfect time to do it. It was pouring rain and a homey afternoon. I put on some classical music and got to kneading. The timing was also perfect in that the finished bread came out of the oven just before we had to take off and meet my niece and her partner for dinner. The kitchen smelled heavenly!

Flash back to earlier in the day. Bella ate part of a sock at some point during the day. My husband was around, but hadn't noticed that the sock was reconfigured. I was a bit concerned about what it would do in her system, but the only choice was to wait and see.

I took her to see her friend, Amber. They played a bit, but Bella was really being a pill. Amber was bombarded by the puppy and clearly unhappy about it, so we left. On our walk, we ran into another friend walking her Akita and walked with them. Both of us were hoping for an opportunity to work our dogs around distractions. Bella did well, but since her obedience class on Monday, has really been pushing the envelope. She's choosing to ignore commands. Gr-r-r.

Flash forward. When we returned from a fun evening out, we opened the door to discover the puppy had somehow been able to reach the back of the counter and had eaten the majority of the fresh bread. To my knowledge, this is her first successful attempt at counter-surfing. Needless to say, she was horribly uncomfortable and had a restless night. (As did I dealing with her!)

This morning she's slugging around the house and refused to go on a walk. I left her with my husband with instructions on feeding her (very little and in her crate) and watching to see if she is okay. She has a lot inside her that needs to come out...

No comments: