January 24, 2010

My Smart Puppy

Bella is 9 months old. She's still a puppy, though a maturing one. This week, our first back home together sans hubby, has been unusually hectic. I've had a lot of obligations on top of work that meant my sweet girl had to spend more time than usual in her crate. So it was not unexpected that she would be quite "frisky" when she came out. She wanted to play constantly. I found my energy level didn't come close to matching hers and my patience began to wear thin. I wondered what odd brain cell had burst in my skull making me think I should get a puppy.

On Wednesday, she was at her worst, demanding attention that I didn't have the time to give. I made the mistake of releasing a tennis ball in the house. Bella has a habit with small toys to chew them by the couch and somehow push them under the couch so that I must retrieve them. After responding to her barking for me to get in action and get her ball way too many times, I grabbed the ball and put it away. Bella continued to bark. I grabbed her and put her outside. In a matter of minutes, she was scratching at the back door to come back in.

When I opened the door, there is my adorable puppy looking eager, tail wagging, with a very, VERY, muddy tennis ball (she had buried who knows how long ago) in her mouth. You could just imagine her saying, "I found another one! Can we play with this one?" How could I possibly stay mad?

-------

Yesterday I went to PetsMart to get her a couple of new toys. She had eaten the ones she had to a dangerous level, so I decided to replace them. We went on a long walk afterwards and when we returned to the car (in PetsMart's lot), I decided to take her in and see what their baths cost. My husband normally bathes her, but he's gone for the month. My back has really been bothering me, so I thought if the cost wasn't exorbitant, I'd let them do it rather than trying to pick her up to place in the tub.

I haven't brought her in the store for several months as the excitement level had previously proved to great for her. I wanted to give it another try. My oh my! She was excited, of course, because of the new smells and all the people and other dogs, but she stayed right at my side all the way to the back of the store. When we entered the grooming room, there were three dogs in addition to Bella crowded into the tiny waiting area. While the other hounds were pulling and winding their owners in their leashes, my sweet little girl-dog sat right next to me. Some one excused their dog's behaviour by saying it was only a couple of years old and asked about Bella's age. I said, "Nine months." They were floored how calm and well-behaved she was. I was so proud of her! She did a stellar job! What a smart puppy!

No comments: