December 23, 2009

Chew Toys


Not all stuffed chew toys are created equal. I've only tried a few on Bella and literally in less than an hour, the toy is destroyed. At Petsmart, they aren't super expensive, but when they don't last, they aren't cheap either.

I tried a new stuffed toy on her (made by Tuffies Pet Toys) which are supposedly "built" for aggressive chewers. I bought her a gator which I was told was a "7" on a scale of "10" in chewing durability. Within minutes, Bella had chewed out the nose area and removed the stuffing. Over the course of a couple of hours, the tail (and stuffing) and the toes (and stuffing) were gone or opened up.


Now I know she is a chewer, but I had higher hopes for this particular toy. When I went to the manufacturer's site, I realized the gator was merely a "5" on the chew scale. Ah ha! No wonder! I bought it through a small, independent shop, so I let the owner know not all of those particular brand carry the same chew ranking.


Bella hasn't completely destroyed the toy yet (though it is a mere shadow of its former self). So even at a 5, the toy is tough. None-the-less, had I known of the gator's unique ranking, I would have waited until the store owner got more in stock and purchased a more heftily constructed toy. At over $20 a pop, I wanted something a bit more duro.

No comments: