July 28, 2009

Mood Reversal

Did I say "I love my puppy" yesterday? Well, I do, but by last night I wasn't so sure. She peed downstairs on the carpet. Mea Culpa. I got a phone call and ran upstairs to take it and didn't take Bella. She's gone two weeks without an accident, but obviously doesn't yet know the appropriate pee spot.

The weather has been abysmally hot (mid to high 90s) and I find my temperament drops with each degree of heat. So I was angry when I came back down and spotted the puddle. (I did not shame the puppy, but cleaned it up and took the puppy upstairs and outside.)

In trying to escape the heat, we went to the river for a quick dip. It revved the puppy and she got spunky, bouncy and bitey—and took the opportunity to bite the leash and me. NO BITES! My momentarily cooled off temperament took another nose dive. I spent the rest of the evening away from the puppy and let my husband deal with her. I knew I wasn't capable at that point of being reasonable and I didn't want her to be the recipient of my foul mood.

Today is supposed to be even warmer topping out (I hope!) the day after at 100. I am doing some private instruction mid-day and can only hope the location is air-conditioned. Waking up to find the temperature already in the 70s at 5AM, just makes me a grouch at the start. I don't know how I survived living in the Midwest. I find this weather completely debilitating.

No comments: