December 3, 2008

Grateful


We're care-taking Suki for a couple of days while her owners are away. She has declined dramatically since the last time she was here. It takes a lot of manpower to wake her and get her going, and once up, she's only there for a short time before going back to bed. I've "carpeted" the kitchen in non-skid rugs, so when she gets up, she can get to the water bowl without slipping. Her coordination is quite sketchy as she suffers from awful arthritis and her toenails are so long.

She is still eating, but seems to have a difficult time working her tongue and spends more time moving her kibbles around rather than scooping them up. We are using a carpeted ramp her owners brought over for her to get up and down our back stairs (of which there are three). She is good going down the ramp, though she sometimes slips her way down. Coming up, however, is much more difficult. Surprisingly, although she is not a "morning" dog, she seems more coordinated at that time and is able to get up the ramp to come in. In the evening, she needs encouragement and a bit of guidance to maneuver up.

When she first arrived five days ago, I think she was quite confused. When she was awake, her time was spent staring at nothing. This morning, for the first time, she got up with us (5:30AM), went outside, ate breakfast and had her morning biscuit. That was wonderful and very active for her.

Lucy is doing well. Although both nostrils now suffer from rhinitis, she is enthused and involved. Over this past weekend, she ran a total of nearly 12 miles—five on Saturday, the rest on Sunday. She was eager afterward, and appeared neither exhausted nor experienced difficulty breathing. Granted, the weather was cool, but who cares? I am so happy she is such a willing participant.

I am grateful she is still with us, mentally and physically. It makes me even more solicitous towards Lucy and I tell her regularly how much I love her.

I also feel for Suki's owners as I know they will soon have to make an awful decision—the one we hate to make, but are grateful we can offer. With Suki, I've spent several evenings on the floor by her bed letting her know what a fine girl-dog she is and how much we've enjoyed our time with her.

What would we do without our wonderful dog companions? I can't imagine how anyone could treat a dog cruelly or chain them outside and ignore them. They give us so much and ask for so little in return. Our lives are enriched immeasurably by them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's never an easy decision to have a beloved pet euthanized. When our kitty had lymphoma, we asked the vet how we would know when it was time. He said you can just tell when their suffering outweighs their enjoyment of life, and that's when you have to make the call. I feel for your friends, it's so so hard! Poor doggie, but she is lucky to have such a good friend in you, willing to help ease her difficulties near the end of her life.

NW Nature Nut said...

Thanks for linking to me. I just read this post and *totally* sympathize..I too have an old girl who is arthritic and getting up there is years. She is doing alright, but I fear what the future holds. I too tell her what a sweet girl she is every day. My pup is the love of my life.