July 31, 2007

Today's the day-dorsal laminectomy with stabilization

It's 6:15AM and in a little bit I'll make the long drive up to the animal hospital. Today's her surgery. I keep reminding myself it is so she can do her doggy things again—run and bounce and wag her tail, but like any 'mother,' I'm concerned and worried. My fingers are so crossed, my heart is so tender right now. Luckily, she's a dog. She's merely upset that she got neither her breakfast nor morning dog biscuit. Her ritual has been upset.

The other dog we're presently caring for is equally miffed as she's grown used to the routine here. I'll keep her here through tonight and then back home she goes tomorrow so that when Lucy returns, all is quiet.

All dog bedding will be washed and I'll set up an area in the house that allows Lucy a comfortable place to recoup. I was thinking my office, but perhaps that provides to much space. There is any area in the kitchen that I can cordon off and put carpet remnants down to prevent slipping and her bed and water in. I don't know... I guess I have to wait and see what they say we need to do after the fact. I know we'll be temporarily helping her walk with a sling.

Later... It's mid-afternoon and still have not heard, though I don't expect to until later today. They didn't know if the surgery would be done in the morning or afternoon. The tech said she would probably be at the hospital a couple of nights, however. I guess I'm glad about that. I'd rather she was under lots of observation before we brought her home. It's nearly an hour drive to get there and if anything serious happened the drive could prove problematic.

Later still...I've heard from the vet. He said the surgery went well and that Lucy had good 'bone structure.' I didn't ask but assume that meant the two new pins she sports in her vertebrae had something good to hold on to.

She went "under the knife" at 2:30pm, so she had 6 hours to wait. Poor girl. He said she'd be on pain meds through the night and they wouldn't bother to do anything with her (get her up?) until tomorrow afternoon. Although I can go visit her during this time, I feel my presence would elicit undue excitement—something she doesn't need right now. To be honest, I don't know that I could handle her being doped up or in pain.

She'll be there through Friday and he and/or his assistant will call daily to let me know her prognosis. I can call at any point to see how she's doing. Fingers crossed...

No comments: