July 29, 2007

More upsets

Lucy has been under the weather again. I think it's from trying to lick the place on her leg where the anesthesia went in for her MRI. It was pretty raw and I've been putting a salve (Animax Cream) on it, then a quick swipe of Bitter Apple. For the most part she's been good about not licking that, but yesterday she was licking all around it and I'm sure, ingested a fair amount of Bitter Apple. She was lethargic and not hungry yesterday.

Today she's perked up a bit. Tomorrow is her last day of eating before Tuesday's surgery. My anxiety over her well-being is increasing, but I keep reminding myself, the odds are quite good on a spectacular recovery. The majority of folks on the dog forum recommended I go ahead with the surgery and they are all BIG dog folks with lots of experience under their collective belt. I need to chill out so as not to upset Lucy.

We're dog-sitting a friend's dog right now. Lucy enjoys the company despite the fact they both rather ignore each other. I'll keep the other dog here until Lucy comes home and then she's off to her own home with shared care by another neighbor. She'll feed her; I'll walk her. I just don't want any excitement (barking at the mailman), competition or issues over anything while Lucy's recouping.

I found some sites (see the links at right) that talk about post-op care. I haven't received a straight answer regarding this from the clinic, but then they said it depends on the outcome of the surgery. I understand this, I just need something to hold on to. Will she be incontinent for a while? Can she walk at all or must I lift her? Does she have to be in a crate or can she be in her bed in my office?

No comments: