February 1, 2013

Multilingual Dog

Bella is multilingual. I'm quite proud of her. Of course she speaks Dog. Here, in Baja, I don't know if the other canines speak a different dialect, but she seems quite at home with them and has had no problem making herself understood.

Then of course, she understands (though cannot speak) English. Her vocabulary is large. When she is being pesky with her ball wanting someone to toss it, she knows the command "be self-entertaining" and goes off with the ball to play by herself.

She often stays with some friends when we can't take her on our travels. I know they speak German to her. I don't know what she knows, but they say she's got the basics down. Maybe I should learn German...

And now she has some Spanish under her belt. I am working with the program Rosetta Stone to improve my Spanish and each unit starts starts and ends with "hola" and "adios." The first time I said "hola" she ran to the door and barked. I didn't get what the connection was until the second time. Now, if we're inside, and I say "Hola," she always runs to the door or out into the yard to see who's there!

How many languages does your dog understand?

No comments: