September 24, 2011

Bella's Sick

Bella ate something, we don't know what. She came out of a neighboring yard licking her chops and has been lethargic since—that was four days ago. Her appetite remains strong. She can still play Chuck-It with the best of them, but she's not herself. My husband is going to talk to the neighbor and see what might have been in his yard.

Bella got sick in the living room the other night and seemed a bit better since then, but this morning I felt like I was walking a 15-year old dog. She lagged way behind.

I am uneasy about this and concerned. I don't want anything to be more involved than indigestion. I've had her on a bland diet. I'll give her until Monday and then... I'd love to take her to the vet, but the only sign of problem is "she's not herself." How do you test for that?

UPDATE  We found out the neighbor is composting food (and meat) scraps outside, uncovered. (Rat problem anyone?) Bella was feasting on that. The smell of food and rotting meat (according to my husband on a cool and rainy day) was pretty horrendous. Too much temptation for a Labrador. Bella is doing better today, but is still overly "frothy"at the mouth and still has stinky breath, so her tummy isn't completely settled. I believe we have an unused yard compost bin floating around the garage. Think I'll see if my neighbor might want it...

UPDATE #2 Labrador's are known for their iron-clad guts. I came across this link from a veterinary x-ray contest (who has the best find) and it makes me grateful Bella didn't get into more. However, if her stomach ever needs an x-ray, I hate to think what they will find in her little belly!

No comments: