May 10, 2010

Walking Class Review


Can you learn much in a one hour class? How about a one hour class when there is a fair amount of dog energy going on? I must say "hats off" to all instructors. You have truly clueless, well-meaning owners and lots of doggie personalities stuffed into a small room. How to teach with all that in the mix?!


I guess we'll see. If nothing else, it was a hands-on example of the videos I mentioned in the previous post. The "take-away" from this class is how to countermand the yo-yo affect where the dog goes to the end of the lead, stops, returns to collect the treat and returns to leash end. The other thing the instructor (not the same one I had before) emphasized is the importance of consistency. Don't allow the dog to pull here, but not there.


I think I'll start with Bella in the house, despite the fact we'll still be going on long walks. It's rainy today, so a good time to be indoors.

No comments: