December 21, 2007

More on aggressive dogs & neighborhood reaction

I was talking with a neighbor last night who mentioned the woman whose dogs were attacked by the Mastiff is thinking of selling her house. She just went through an extensive renovation of the home and has only recently (September) moved back into it after the remodeling was completed. Yet the attack set her on edge. She runs every day. She's a tall, strong woman and even she's unglued by the recent turn of events (including Lucy's attack). Another neighbor has said the same and would do so if the market was stronger. I think two people wishing to move because of dog attacks is hugely significant.

Moving may be an over reaction, but I understand their anxiety. If you don't feel your dog is safe or you're always anxious walking them, what are the realistic alternatives? Moving was one of the first things that crossed my mind, but there is no guarantee you or your pup will be safer elsewhere. Yes, our neighborhood does border a not so nice 'hood, but bad dog owners live everywhere. None the less, I know for the first time in my life I've considered going "dogless" when Lucy is no longer with us.

No comments: