September 21, 2007

Walkies #2

I must admit to being disappointed. I was so pleased at Lucy's stamina the other day, but she hasn't been able to equal it since. She's been timid about going on a walk. This is reminiscent of her behavior months ago when she got on a 'fearful' jag. "Oh! I can't go on a walk! There are bad noises out there!" I have very little sympathy for that.

Once I get her beyond our block, she's fine, so that's what I've done. But it isn't without some effort and cajoling. Yesterday she just couldn't do the length—or at least, I felt that was the case. She was dragging her feet more frequently and was walking quite slowly. I know that's the way it will be (for a while? permanently?). Good some days; not so good others.

We're dog-sitting for the next month for some friends. Their pup is not that old (11?), but quite arthritic and each day I'm making our afternoon walk (in which she joins us) shorter. I think today I'll take her around the block, then continue on with Lucy. I don't not want to walk Suki as she needs the movement and exercise, but I also don't want to create any more pain for her than she already has.

No comments: